Fifth Station of the cross.
- You have heard it said that nothing is free
- We automatically believe there is a catch. It can’t be. Nothing is free.
- And I would say that most of us are uncomfortable, even embarrassed when we are on the receiving end of a person’s, especially a stranger’s, generosity.
- When you first heard that Jesus fixed it so that our salvation was free, you did not have to earn it, how did you respond?
- There must be a catch right.
- Even when we are taught about God’s grace we still get caught up in the rules.
- Religions have rules. Rules you go by trying to earn God’s favor.
- It’s easier to understand rules than to understand a God who would make himself human give you his love for free.
- In the Muslim faith, for example, there are five major rules, or pillars of the faith to live by. At the end of your life, you are judged by how well you lived by the rules.
- According to their faith, you never know while on this earth.
Hi, My name is Royal Farris. I am pastor of Life Connection Church in Euless, TX
Over a 14 day period, we are looking at 14 Scripture references to the last hours of Jesus and how we can apply those to help us mature in our faith.
Today is Station 5 – The Mob Demands Jesus’ Death
Luke 23: 13-16, 23,24 13 Then Pilate called together the leading priests anther religious leaders, along with the people, 14 and he announced his verdict. “You brought this man to me, accusing him of leading a revolt. I have examined him thoroughly on this point in your presence and find him innocent. 15 Herod came to the same conclusion and sent him back to us. Nothing this man has done calls for the death penalty. 16 So I will have him flogged, and then I will release him.
23 But the mob shouted louder and louder, demanding that Jesus be crucified, and their voices prevailed. 24 So Pilate sentenced Jesus to die as they demanded.
- The Jewish people were not buying Jesus’ message.
- They thought Jesus’ teachings were against their traditional laws. He was disrespecting the teachings of their religious leaders.
- Jesus taught them that God loved them and his grace and not the law was the answer to their salvation.
- It’s love that changes us.
- In 2008, 750 Muslim to Christian converts from 30 countries and 50 ethnic groups were asked why they chose to follow Jesus.
- Here are the top five reasons
- The Christian lifestyle was one of love and respect for all people including women.
- The power of God in answered prayers and healing.
- They were dissatisfied with the Muslim experience through the Qur’an emphasizing punishment over love.
- The spiritual truth of the Bible became compelling for them and key to their understanding of God’s character.
- The Biblical teachings about the love of God.
Jesus changed everything because love changes everything.
Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for your life-changing love. Thank you for sending Jesus to pay for our salvation. Thank you Jesus for demonstrating your love in such a sacrificial way. I will show your love to others every day, in all I do. Thank for your grace and the power of my relationship with you over the weight of the law. I will live my life loving and respecting others and honoring You.
In Jesus Name … Amen and Amen