Knowing God’s Will
Series: Living With Jesus
False Beliefs About God That Will Hold You Back
1) God will show me what to do where to go.
2) God will ask me to do something I hate.
3) God can’t use me. I am not good enough.
4) God will not give me a clue as to His will for me.
5) God’s call will be dramatic and obvious.
I know, LORD, that our lives are not our own. We are not able to plan our own course. Jer 10:23
1) Guidance from God is relational more than directional.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. 6 Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Pro 3:5-6
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Eph 2:10
God’s will trumps man’s will.
You can make many plans, but the LORD’s purpose will prevail.
God wants you to succeed.
The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent. 2 Pet 3:9
God has a tailored will for you.
And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. Matt 10:30
2) God’s guidance comes with God’s lordship.
Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path. 106 I’ve promised it once, and I’ll promise it again: I will obey your righteous regulations. Ps 119:105-106
3) God’s guidance will fall in line with His Word.
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work. 2 Tim 3:16-17