Most people strive to be happy.
Latin word hap means chance. Happiness is circumstantial. If _____________ then I am happy.
Joy is a state of the heart. It is an attitude. It is a gift from God. It is not based on chance or circumstance.
LEAP Verse – Listen – Engage – Apply – Produce
but the angel reassured them. “Don’t be afraid!” he said. “I bring you good news that will bring great joy to all people.” Luke 2:10
That night there were shepherds staying in the fields nearby, guarding their flocks of sheep. 9 Suddenly, an angel of the Lord appeared among them, and the radiance of the Lord’s glory surrounded them. They were terrified, 10 but the angel reassured them. “Don’t be afraid!” he said. “I bring you good news that will bring great joy to all people. 11 The Savior—yes, the Messiah, the Lord—has been born today in Bethlehem, the city of David! Luke 2:8-11
You can’t control much, but by relying on the Holy Spirit, you can relax in Joy ……
But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! Gal 5:22-23
Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. James 1:2-4
How To Choose to be Joyless
1) Believe everything has to be going well.
2) Believe you need approval of others.
3) Believe you are who you are and can’t change
4) Believe you need stuff to be happy
5) Believe that you control your life.
6) Believe that if you are faithful you will be happy.
7) Believe there are some you don’t have to forgive.
8) Believe if you pray and try hard enough you will get your dream.
9) Believe you can make your will God’s will.
10) Believe that someone else besides God should love you unconditionally.
How to Choose to be Joyful
1) Stay single minded in belief and mission.
For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. 22 But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. Phil 1:21-22
2) Put loving God and loving people at the top of your
Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. 4 Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. Phil 2:3-4
3) Represent your heaven citizenship.
For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ. 19 They are headed for destruction. Their god is their appetite, they brag about shameful things, and they think only about this life here on earth. 20 But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior. Phil 3:18-20
4) Remember everything is spiritual.
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. Phil 4:6-7