But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. Gal 3:13
I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me. Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. 4 He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said. 1 Cor 15:3-4
True: Salvation = Jesus (Gospel/Good News)
False: Salvation = Jesus + Law
Judaizers-Legalism: Jesus + Law of Moses
1) Jesus wrote a letter to us through Paul reminding us to not forget who we are.
Am I not an apostle? Haven’t I seen Jesus our Lord with my own eyes? 1 Cor 9:1
This letter is from Paul, an apostle. I was not appointed by any group of people or any human authority, but by Jesus Christ himself and by God the Father, who raised Jesus from the dead.
2 All the brothers and sisters here join me in sending this letter to the churches of Galatia.
3 May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace. 4 Jesus gave his life for our sins, just as God our Father planned, in order to rescue us from this evil world in which we live. 5 All glory to God forever and ever! Amen.
2) Stop being a church based on religion.
6 I am shocked that you are turning away so soon from God, who called you to himself through the loving mercy of Christ.You are following a different way that pretends to be the Good News 7 but is not the Good News at all. You are being fooled by those who deliberately twist the truth concerning Christ.
- Legalism is turning your back on God.
- Christ’s sacrifice, God’s grace is sufficient.
- Twist or pervert means to change into an opposite character.
- Turning from grace means turning from peace.
- We are saved by grace, we are to live by grace
3) Stop false teaching or else.
8 Let God’s curse fall on anyone, including us or even an angel from heaven, who preaches a different kind of Good News than the one we preached to you. 9 I say again what we have said before: If anyone preaches any other Good News than the one you welcomed, let that person be cursed.
10 Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant.
- Judaizers wanted to keep Christianity special for themselves.
- The measure of a teacher of the Gospel is a commitment to the purity of the Gospel. (Don’t add or take away)
For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. John 1:17 NIV
For the law was given through Moses, but God’s unfailing love and faithfulness came through Jesus Christ. John 1:17 NLT
People will run from the law and run to grace.