I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears. Ps 34:4 NLT
Living under the fears of rejection and failure lead to shame and road blocks to healthy, honest, intimate relationships.
In male/female relationships we have confused intimacy with sex.
Shame: I am what I am and I can’t change.
Living with Shame
1) Feel like everyone is better than you.
2) Keep making the same harmful mistakes over and over again.
3) The glass is always at least half-empty.
4) The world is against you and you feel sorry for yourself.
5) Resist investing in relationships.
6) Resist taking risks to improve situation.
7) Loss of creativity or imagination.
8) Always looking to rescue others in order to feel better about yourself.
9) You never feel good about your appearance.
Get a New Intimate You
First … Get intimate with God .. Spiritual Intimacy
22 throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. 23 Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. 24 Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy. Eph 4:22-24
Identity, Purpose, Bible Study, Prayer, Church, obedience
Gallop poll: Couples who pray together 3-4 times a week have a divorce rate of 1 in 1052.
2) Practice communicating intimacy.
…you husbands must give honor to your wives. Treat your wife with understanding as you live together. 1 Pet 3:7
1) Make the time to talk.
2) Develop like interests.
3) Practice active listening
4) Ask questions to find out who your spouse is.
5) Practice giving undivided attention.
6) Say what you mean.
7) Talk about physical relationship. (Married)
One of the greatest hindrances to building intimacy between a man and women is sex outside of marriage.
3) Share emotional intimacy. (Honesty)
4) Enjoy physical intimacy. (Married)
Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer. Afterward, you should come together again so that Satan won’t be able to tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 1 Cor 7:5
Read Song of Solomon ……