These are the notes for tonight’s discussion on the difference between Christianity and Mormonism. This is not an attack on other people of other faiths. There is a difference and that is what we will be discussing @ http://www.ustream.tv/channel/life-support-tv
Founded by Joseph Smith (25) in 1830.
1820: Father and Son appeared to Smith and told him all churches and their beliefs were wrong and Smith needed to start a new one.
1823: The angel Moroni appeared and told Smith the ancient golden plates were buried near his home. Three years later,Moroni told him where they were.
In 1830 published as The Book of Mormon
- Book of Mormon
- Doctrines and Covenants
- Pearl of Great Price
- The “Inspired” Version of the Bible
No decisive archaeological evidence for any ancient civilizations described in BOM.
- 40 different Holy Spirit inspired authors over 1600 years.
Above all, you must understand that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophets themselves 21 or because they wanted to prophesy. It was the Holy Spirit who moved the prophets to speak from God. 2 Peter 1:20-21NLT
- Archaeologists have uncovered more copies of ancient Bible manuscripts than any other document of antiquity.
- Much corroborating evidence.
- Exalted man from another planet
- Many Gods
- Always evolving
- Physical body
- God is not eternal
- God is God and one God. (Hos 11:9, Isai. 45:5)
- God is Spirit (John 4;24, Luke 24;39)
- God is eternal (Isai 40:28)
- God does not change. (Mal. 3:6)
- Created being and brother of Lucifer
- Had to earn his own salvation
- A polygamist
- Jesus saved Adam. We have to earn our salvation.
- Jesus and Father are one (John 10:30)
- Born of a virgin through Holy Spirit (Matt 1:18-20)
- Jesus did not need to be saved (1 John 5:20)
- No evidence of Jesus married even once.
- No other way to be saved but through Jesus
Resources: World Religions and Cults 101 – Bruce Bickel & Stan Jantz
Jesus Among other Gods – Ravi Zacharias; http://www.atstracts.org